Sunday, March 1, 2009

Why?

The Great Wall Marathon.

'Why would anyone want to run 21 km along the Great Wall?' I hear you ask. Well, there are two reasons for me to even contemplate sending off an application to do the Great Wall half marathon......

1) I'm bored. I am so sick of running on a treadmill and lifting weights just for fitness. I need a challenge and something to aim for.

2) Rather than just run the wall for the sake of it, I thought I would give fundraising a go. I have never done any fundraising myself but am going to give it a go and hopefully make a reasonable contribution to the Red Cross to aid them in their support of those affected by the Victorian bushfires.


Fires in Victoria
The bushfires have affected me greatly, despite the distance between Victoria and China. I have been following the fire developments daily via the Herald Sun and Age websites and through the emails sent from those involved with the Yarra Valley Dressage Club. Many members of the YVDC have been affected by the fires and although I don't know many of them personally, I emphasise with them, being a fellow horse owner.
The Great Wall
I am going to write this blog to track my training progress as I work towards my goal of completing the Great Wall half marathon on 16 May. I would like to encourage everyone to support my goal to complete the half marathon and raise $1000 for the Red Cross to help those affected by the bushfires in Victoria.
Please donate to the Red Cross via my fundraising page on the 'Everyday Hero' website (link below), an organisation that supports individuals and teams to achieve their fundraising goals. I know that many people may have already donated to the Red Cross and that many people are affected by the current economic crisis, but I urge you to dig deep for that little bit more as those involved in the bushfires will need our support for a long time to come. Your support is much appreciated.


http://www.everydayhero.com.au/anna_davidson

http://www.great-wall-marathon.com/


1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea Anna and I'm very impressed (I struggle to make it through our pre-game warm-up lap let alone running 21 kms!). Looking forward to hearing about your progress :)

    ReplyDelete